A key requirement of the automotive industry is a low-friction rubber for such items as valve stem and shaft seals. Typically this requirement is met using Teflon-coated rubber but the material exhibits flexibility and flaking problems. However, polymerising semicrystalline perfluoropolymer filler (usually PTFE – polytetrafluoroethylene) with FFKM builds compounds with immense promise:
- reduced friction – with none of the side-effects of coatings, making it ideal for rotating seals in automotive, aerospace, oil and gas applications
- reduced permeability – offering reduced emmissions to automotive manufacturers
- high purity – essential for semi-conductor manufacturing and food processing applications
Preliminary tests at DP Seals suggest nanotech rubber moulds well.
The information below is just a guide as the type and percentage of filler can have a dramatic effect on individual performance parameters.
To realise different performance parameters, other nano-fillers can be used with or without the PTFE, such as carbon black to introduce conductivity.
Why not contact us for a detailed discussion of your requirements.
Nanotech Rubber Specifications
At DP Seals we pride ourselves on being able to provide specialist advice in selecting and developing exactly the right blend of materials to meet a vast range of performance requirements.
We also maintain a large quantity and variety of quality raw materials in stock, enabling us to offer fast turnaround and provide for tight deadlines.
The information provided here is only a guide to its primary characteristics and uses. The relationship between material, product performance and blend options is complex.
Below you’ll find many free resources to help you think about material selection and we are always on hand to discuss your requirements and provide expert advice.
- Chemical Compatibility Database
- Rubber Compound Data Sheets
- Videos with Top Tips
- Guide to developing Custom Rubber Seals, Gaskets & Mouldings
- Rubber To Metal Bonding Guide
- Speak to our Material Technologists on +44 (0)1202 674671